Skip to Main Content

Project Based Voucher RAD Conversion

Click through the following links for more information.

  1. RAD Conversion
  2. What is RAD?
  3. Will a Rad Conversion Affect My Housing Assistance?
  4. Will a Rad Conversion Affect My Rent?
  5. Phase-In of Rents
  6. Over and Under Housed
  7. Project Based (PB) Vouchers
  8. Program Participation
  9. Family Obligations
  10. Inspections
  11. Informal Fair Hearings
  12. Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Homeownership
  13. Determining Income and Rent
  14. Calculations... Annual Income
  15. Adjusted Income
  16. Total Tenant Payment
  17. Gross Rent
  18. Housing Assistance Payment
  19. Things to Remember
  20. How to Reach Us

RAD Conversion
The Rental Assistance Demonstration was created in order to give public housing authorities (PHAs) a powerful tool to preserve and improve public housing properties and address the $26 billion dollar nationwide backlog of deferred maintenance. RAD also gives owners of three HUD "legacy" program (Rent Supplement, Rental Assistance Payment, and Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation) the opportunity to enter into long-term contracts that facilitate the financing of improvements.
Back to Top

What is RAD?
The Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) allows public housing agencies (PHAs) and owners of HUD-assisted properties to convert units to project-based Section 8 programs, providing an opportunity to invest billions into properties at risk of being lost from the nation's affordable housing inventory. Additionally, it gives owners of three HUD "legacy" program (Rent Supplement, Rental Assistance Payment, and Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation) the opportunity to enter into long-term contracts that facilitate the financing of improvements.
Back to Top

Will a Rad Conversion Affect My Housing Assistance?
You will not lose your housing assistance and you will not be rescreened because of a RAD conversion. Even though a RAD property can use private money to make big repairs, it will still receive money from HUD. With this subsidy from HUD, PHAs will manage RAD properties through either the PBV or PBRA programs. RAD requires that converted properties be owned or controlled by a public or nonprofit entity.
Back to Top

Will a Rad Conversion Affect My Rent?
If your building or development is converted to PBV, your rent contribution will most likely be the same as it was under public housing-generally no more than 30% of your household's adjusted gross income. Since the project-based Section 8 programs also set resident rents at 30% of adjusted income, most residents will not have rent increases as a result of a RAD conversion.

You may see a slight increase in rent due to utility allowance differences.
Back to Top

Phase-In of Rents
Phase in of rents will occur if the family's monthly rent increases more than the greater of 10% or $25. Increases will be phased in over a three-year period.
Back to Top

Over and Under Housed
Once converted, families that are residing in units that are not appropriate to the household composition will be right-sized. Families will go on a transfer list.
Back to Top

Project Based (PB) Vouchers

  • The significant difference between the tenant-based voucher and the project-based voucher is that the PB voucher is attached to a specific unit. 
  • The assistance is tied to the unit, a family who moves from the project-based unit does not have any right to continued housing assistance. After 2 years, a family may be eligible for a tenant-based voucher when and if one becomes available.
  • The Housing Authority can use up to 20% of its Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) for project-based vouchers.
  • The current and projected number of Project Based (PB) units is over 2,500. 

Back to Top

Program Participation

  • The Project Based Voucher Programs is not an entitlement program.  
  • All candidates must meet eligibility requirements.
  • The THA may select families for the PBV program from those who are participants in the THA's tenant-based voucher program and from the waiting list of those who have applied for admission to the PBV Program. 

Back to Top

Family Obligations
As a PB Program Participant, you have family obligations that must be met.  Failure to meet these obligations will result in termination from the program. Termination results in a 5-year sanction throughout the country.

A family must:

  • Supply any information that the HA or HUD determines to be necessary, including evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status. 
  • Supply information IN WRITING for use in a regularly scheduled re-examination or interim re-examination of family income increases and changes of household composition within ten (10) days.
  • Disclose and verify social security numbers and sign and submit consent forms for obtaining information.  Any and all information supplied by the family MUST BE TRUE AND COMPLETE.
  • Supply any information requested by the Housing Authority to verify that the family is living in the unit or information related to family absence from the unit. 
  • Promptly notify the Housing Authority in writing when the family is away from the unit for an extended period of time.  
  • Promptly notify the Housing Authority, in writing, if any family member no longer lives in the unit.  3rd party written verification will be required to prove the move. 
  • Request Housing Authority and owner written approval to add any other family member as an occupant of the unit. 
  • Give the Housing Authority a copy of any owner eviction notice.
  • Pay utility bills and provide and maintain any appliances that the owner is not required to provide under the lease. Utilities that are the family's responsibility must be in the name of the Head of Household, Spouse, or Co-Head ONLY.  Not the baby's name or others.   
  • Attend all scheduled appointments. Two missed appointments are cause for termination. 

A family must not:

  • Commit any serious or repeated violation of the lease. 
    • Violations of lease can be disturbances that threatens the health, safety or peaceful enjoyment of the premises by neighbors;  not complying with specific lease requirements;  excessive complaints; etc.
  • Owe the landlord any rent or get evicted. The rent amount must be paid on time.
  • Commit fraud, bribery, or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program. 
    • When someone purposely withholds information in order to obtain a subsidy or additional subsidy, it is considered fraud.
  • Participate in illegal drug-related or violent criminal activity or be a sexual predator.   It does not matter if it was a felony or misdemeanor.  This includes all family members and guests of family members.
    • In an effort to prevent future drug-related and other criminal activity, as required by 24 CFR 982, the THA will endeavor to screen applicants as thoroughly and fairly as possible.  Such screening will be conducted at least once a year and will apply to any member of the household who is 18 years of age or older. 
  • Engage in the illegal use of a controlled substance; or abuse of alcohol that threatens the health and safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents. 
  • Sublet or let the unit or assign the lease or transfer the unit. 
  • Engage in abuse, threats, or violent act toward any Tampa Housing Authority employee.
  • Damage the unit or premises (other than damages from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest to damage the unit or premises.
  • The family is responsible for Housing Quality Standards breach caused by the family as described in Sec. 982.404 (b). Damages caused by the family must all be corrected to the satisfaction of the owner, OR the owner can bill the tenant for repairing tenant-caused damages.

Back to Top


  • Annuals will be conducted every year- someone over the age of 18 must be present
  • Special inspections
  • Inspections are contracted out and done by CGI.
  • Items that are damaged by the tenant will be indicated on the report and the tenant will be responsible for it's repair.
  • Abatements
  • You must pay your rent portion even if the unit fails the inspection!

Back to Top

Informal Fair Hearings

  • The informal hearing requirements defined in HUD regulations are applicable to participating families who disagree with an action, decision, or inaction of the THA. 
  • When the THA makes a decision regarding the eligibility and/or the amount of assistance, applicants and participants must be notified in writing.
  • A request for an Informal Hearing must be received in writing by the close of business day, no later than ten (10) days from the date of the THA's notification.  When the THA receives a written request for an informal hearing, a hearing will be scheduled within ten (10) days. 
  • After a hearing date is set, the family may request to reschedule only upon showing "good cause," which is defined as an unavoidable conflict that seriously affects the health, safety, and welfare of the family. 
  • If the family does not appear at the scheduled time and did not make arrangements in advanced, the THA will NOT automatically re-schedule the hearing. 

Back to Top

Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Homeownership

  • This program is for occupants of FSS Units. The program is for individuals who are interested in becoming independent and free of public assistance. 
  • You need to have the desire to either obtain higher education/training and/or become employed. 
  • One of the benefits of the program is an interest-bearing escrow account (or savings) where THA sets aside money for you whenever you have an increase in earnings from your employment.
  • You must be a voucher holder. 

Back to Top

Determining Income and Rent

  • Both the housing authority and resident families have a responsibility in ensuring that the correct rent is calculated and paid.
  • THA must obtain accurate income information; verify resident income; and ensure residents receive the exclusions and deductions to which they are entitled.
  • The resident family must provide accurate family composition information; income information; and all paperwork that documents income and expenses.
  • The family must report changes in family composition and income between annual recertification.
  • Consent forms for income verification must be signed by all adult household members.

Back to Top

Calculations... Annual Income

  • Annual Income means ALL amounts that go  to any family member in the household. 
  • Once the THA knows and verifies all sources of income, the THA must convert reported income to an annual figure. 
  • All housing authorities are required to use GROSS income.  That is the income you receive before taxes.

Back to Top

Adjusted Income
Adjusted income is the annual income minus any eligible deductions.

Eligible Deductions are:

  • $480 for each dependent
  • $400 for any elderly or disabled family
  • Childcare expenses
  • Disability assistance
  • Medical expenses for the elderly/disabled.

Example of Annual Adjusted Income:

Single mother with 3 children, working and kids in Day Care:
Gross Income (Salary): $16,600.00
3 Kids ($480 x 3) - Less
Day Care ($100 week) - Less

Adjusted Annual Income = $9,960.00

We now calculate Tenant Rent Portion based on the Adjusted Annual Income instead of the Gross Income.
Back to Top

Total Tenant Payment

  • The total tenant payment (TTP) represents the minimum amount a family must contribute toward rent and utilities.  
  • To calculate TTP, annual adjusted income and annual (gross) income must be converted to monthly adjusted income and monthly gross income by dividing the annual figure by 12.  
  • The TTP is the greater of 30% monthly adjusted income, 10% of monthly gross income or the $50 minimum rent established by THA.  
  • In most cases, the TTP is the 30%

Calculating Total Tenant Payment
Adjusted Annual Income - $ 9,960.00
Divide it by 12 (months) = $830.00
Multiply $830 by 30% = $249.00
The $249 is the minimum amount of rent the family pays in this case, and it is called TOTAL TENANT PAYMENT (TTP).
Back to Top

Gross Rent

  • Rent to Owner (the Contract rent, which is the amount that the owner is asking) PLUS the Utility Allowance (as determined based on bedroom size and responsibility of service.) = GROSS RENT
  • Rent to Owner + Utility Allowance = Gross Rent

Back to Top

Housing Assistance Payment

  • The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is the portion the Housing Authority will pay the landlord on behalf of the Tenant. 
  • The HAP is the Gross Rent minus the TTP. (GR - TTP = HAP)

Back to Top

Things to Remember

  • If evicted for violations of the lease, you will be terminated from the program.
  • Income and eligibility are redetermined every year.
  • Unit will be inspected annually
  • Utilities have to be in your name - The landlord can't bill you for something he pays (water etc.)
  • Always pay rent and utilities
  • If you ever have questions, always ask...DO NOT ASSUME
  • Rent portion will change effective January 1, 2017

Back to Top

How To Reach Us
If you have any questions, please call customer service at 813.253.0551 ext. 1035.
Back to Top