Portability Procedures For Families Porting To Tampa
The Housing Authority of the City of Tampa receives approximately 50-60 families a month from different areas across the United States. Tampa understands that moving is stressful, and it is especially stressful when moving from state to state. Although Tampa will be accommodating as much as possible, families must be prepared before moving. The following is what is necessary before porting to the Housing Authority of the City of Tampa (THA):
- Before coming to this area, please conduct a thorough research of the job market, daycare facilities, cost of living, local rental rates, school ratings, crime in the area, etc. Question the reason for relocating. Families will come to Tampa but leave all of their social support systems at their previous state, and then want to port back the following year. Question whether or not you will have adequate financial means for approximately 45-60 days to support yourself and family during the transition period.
- You must have at least 45-60 days of search time on your voucher. This will allow you adequate search time to find a unit without the worry of losing your voucher. THA will NOT add additional members to the voucher when first coming to area. If you want to add household members, please do so at the initiating housing authority.
- THA is not absorbing and will be billing the initial housing authority. All paperwork can be sent via email to Portability. It can also be mailed to Tampa Housing Authority, Attn: Portability Department, 5301 W. Cypress St, Tampa, FL 33607.
- Payment Standards are located on our website.
- You must prepare to have housing accommodations for at least 45-60 days prior to being leased in a new unit. Once THA receives your paperwork, you will be scheduled for an appointment within two weeks; however, there are other obstacles that must be addressed such as finding a unit that will be affordable, finding a unit which may not pass the first time, security deposit, transportation, etc.
- Appointments are scheduled on a first come first serve basis and are NOT negotiable. The date set for the appointment is the date made due to availability. Please come to your appointment prepared with all documents necessary such as photo ID, social security cards for all household members, and birth certificates. If you do not come prepared, it will delay the voucher issuance.
- If you move into a unit prior to it passing, THA will not be able to pay until the day it passes. You will be responsible for any rents owed to the owner.
How Portability Works
For more information on how portability works, please click here.
Papers can be sent to one of the following:
ATTENTION: Portability Officer
Tampa Housing Authority
5301 West Cypress Street
Tampa, FL 33607
ATTN: Portability Department
PHA code: FL003
Tax ID: 59-6001289
If you have further questions, please contact the Section 8 office at 813.253.0551.