Are you renting through the Tampa Housing Authority (THA) on the Section 8 Program?
Are you an eligible applicant for THA rental assistance?
If so, then the Section 8 Homeownership Option may be for you!
Qualified THA applicants and program participants are now able to use their Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers toward mortgages for their own homes.
By working with the First Time Homeowners Center and local mortgage lenders, we have made it possible for families to move from rental housing to affordable homes.
Once your THA eligibility is determined you will attend the Homeownership Educational Workshops. When you complete your homebuyer education, you will be ready to seek financing at the lender of your choice. You will be on your way to homeownership!
The THA will offer the Homeownership Option only to participating families who are:
- Are currently enrolled in the Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS) and are in compliance with the FSS contract for at least one year.
- Are graduates of the THA FSS program.
- Are elderly or disabled and meet the eligibility requirements.
- The THA will offer the Homeownership Option only to applicant families who are:
- Currently enrolled and participating in a self-sufficiency program operated by a Federal, State or local agency.
- Contain at least 1 adult family member who has been fully employed for at least 5 years.
- The family must be eligible for the Housing Choice Voucher program.
- The family must qualify as a first-time homeowner or may be a cooperative member.
- The family must meet the Federal minimum income requirements unless they are elderly or disabled.
- At least one adult family member who will own the home must be currently employed full-time and must have been continuously employed for one year prior to homeownership assistance.
Steps To Homeownership:
- If you think you meet the program qualifications, contact your Section 8 Housing Specialist.